Holt’s Family History Research
Richard Holt: Professional Genealogist
+44 (0)7983 633023
While I live in Cambridgeshire, I grew up in Buckinghamshire where my family has connections going back hundreds of years. I was always fascinated by my own family history from a young age. I grew up hearing stories about what life was like for my grandparents in the past. I have memories of three of my great grandparents, one of whom shared information and stories about her grandparents with me. When I was growing up, I would visit the local studies library and pursue reel after reel of microfilm and consult maps, documents, and books.
Researching the story of my family has been a passion that has never left me. I will research your family with the same level of dedication and passion as if they were my own. Please visit my Research Services page for more information about how I can help. Please do not hesitate to contact me to discuss your requirements.
I aim to blog from time to time so please subscribe by entering your email address at the bottom of this page. I hope you find my content useful and interesting.
Recent Blog Posts
- A Village Steeped in Family HistoryVisiting the places where our ancestors lived helps connect us with the past. My latest trip to Bledlow Ridge brought back many memories and reminded me of the stories shared by family members as well as those that I have uncovered through research.
- Life After the Royal Marines – Theft, Fraud and ImprisonmentWhen Matthew Buyrn joined the Royal Marines in 1812 under the name John Dunmore, he probably had little idea where life might take him. He served in the Marines for the next twenty-one years before he was discharged in 1833. This is the story of theft, fraud and imprisonment.
- The Ashby Family of RadnageConnecting with distant cousins and other researchers can help add detail to our family history. This is a story of collaboration which helped me learn more about about my ancestors, including discovering never before seen family photographs.
- Frederick Ashby, Sergeant 9707, 2nd Battalion, Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light InfantryFrederick Ashby was born on 9th December 1893 in Radnage, Buckinghamshre England. This is the story of a chairmaker’s son from rural Buckinghamshire. Follow Frederick’s story from his birth to his final resting place and everything in between.
- Matthew Buyrn or John Dunmore?Family history research can often be complex and requires research into multiple sources of information. I have been researching for over twenty years and genealogy remains a passionate and rewarding pursuit. Uncovering the stories of our ancestors gives us a fascinating insight into their lives. This blog post will attempt to document some of the many sources that helped me discover the story of my fourth great grandfather, Matthew Buyrn (1793-1846), or should that be John Dunmore? You might be asking yourself what the name John Dunmore has to do with Matthew Buyrn but all will be revealed.
Please feel free to contact me directly, or use the contact form below.
© Richard Holt, Holt’s Family History Research 2022
Unauthorised use of material on this website without written permission is strictly prohibited.